Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Watch Out for that Jesus Fish!

While this is far from a scientific study, I've noticed that a significant number of those who perform some of the most unsafe maneuvers behind the wheel are the same ones that are sporting the “Jesus Fish” on the backs of their cars. As with most of the topics I waste everyone’s time in contemplating, the irony of this is too good to pass up.

Disclaimer: I am a Christian, so I feel entitled to complain about this! I know; I know…you’re not perfect; just forgiven. I understand all that. I guess my gripe is that most of what we Christians learn in Sunday school or during the church service is a fleeting memory between visits to the sanctuary.


I’m aware of the fact that I’m not an expert on transportation, but I do commute to and from work 140 miles per day. This gives me plenty of opportunity to witness my brothers and sisters in Christ make a mockery of His teachings while cutting me off, pulling out in front of loaded semis and basically doing everything but focus on being courteous.

Courtesy…to me that’s a big part of being a Christian. Amazingly, it’s also a big part of being a safe driver. Consider the simple act of using your turn signal. Consistent use of a turn signal when changing lanes is a simple act that alerts others to one’s intentions.
How many times have you waited to turn onto the street and the car you waited on unexpectedly turns off the road? A big deal? Of course not. But wouldn’t it have been nice to turn onto the road before having to wait on 10,000 cars that were lined up behind the twit? I firmly believe the installation of the Jesus fish emblem or bumper sticker must immediately render turn signals unusable (the exact opposite behavior to what is experienced when following an elderly couple in a Seville with Florida plates). And just because you have that emblem slapped on a new BMW 5 series does not entitle you to pull out in front of me. I’m sympathetic to the need to beat the Methodists to KFC after church dismisses, but come on!

One final thing that bothers me about this – I’m somewhat skeptical of those I see in public making a show of their religious beliefs. I was always taught to pray in private and to beware those who were overly demonstrative with religion in public (Luke 20:46-47 is a good place to start). Do you really think God needs to read your bumper to see where your allegiance lies?

Oddly enough, I saw another bumper sticker that got my attention: “I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ.  – Gandhi”.  As a Christian, that stings! But think about it. Maybe that’s how we come across to "outsiders" due to many things…driving habits being but one!

3 comments:

  1. Interesting... and all too true...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I endorse this comment and as a truck driver would like to add covenant transport with the scripture on the back door that is so easy to see the 2 times already this year they have almost run me off the road jumping in front of me :S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... I never noticed the fish, though it very well may have there. My experiences on my motorcycle (which is where I really notice "non-courteous" behavior) have almost always involved 3 things: 1) SUV, 2) Female driver, 3) Cellphone.

    By "non-courteous" I mean "ALMOST RAN OVER ME".

    ReplyDelete